This is a venue to share music from any genre that is of good quality and makes you feel good for having listened to it.
In other words, music you don't mind getting stuck in your head!

YouTube GUM playlist

Sunday, January 15, 2012

"Seek Him That Maketh the Seven Stars" - Jonathan Dove

9/23/2012:  UPDATE!!  Someone has posted the recording I have of this song!  (I prefer it to the recording posted previously. : )


Don't you just love that?  Aahh. : )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Original Post: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I first heard this song at The 100th Annual Christmas Carol Services, performed by the Harvard University Choir.  (For the purists - it isn't strictly a Christmas song, so you can listen to it in January!)  I was stunned by the beauty and majesty of the music.  There were so many parts that I loved then, especially the "aa-ah"s in the phrase that begins at 3:30 - they sounded as though light was flooding the chapel in waves, from a great fountain.  As I have listened to it repeatedly, I have fallen in love with the successive repetition of "that maketh the seven stars" by each part (beginning 4:21).*



And speaking of falling in love, this song actually helped me reconnect with the love of my life, whom I married the following year :)  It reminded me of music by Eric Whitacre, a favorite composer, so I e-mailed a link to a recording of it.  My gesture kindled the hope that we could get back together, and we did just that a week later!

* In my recording of this song, which is from the Salisbury Cathedral Choir, some of these parts are sung by soloists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! It will be posted after it has been reviewed.