This is a venue to share music from any genre that is of good quality and makes you feel good for having listened to it.
In other words, music you don't mind getting stuck in your head!

YouTube GUM playlist

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Sleep" - Eric Whitacre: traditional and virtual choir versions, and *original lyrics* version

GUM is back!  Sorry for the downtime :)

I love this piece, "Sleep," by Eric Whitacre.  I love the way it captures the many "emotions," if you will, of falling to sleep.  Sometimes if I'm having trouble falling asleep, I'll sing this in my head and it helps.

I've posted a recording from a traditional (and elite) choir, followed by a recording of Eric Whitacre conducting his "virtual choir" - a very cool use of YouTube (more info here).  Interestingly, this music was originally written to go with Robert Frost's poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening," but was not published as such due to copyright restrictions (click here for the full story).  That hasn't stopped people from singing it that way, though, and the last video for today is the song as it was originally intended (though I think you could safely argue that either version is the better :)

Enjoy, and pleasant dreams!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! It will be posted after it has been reviewed.